Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

ME AND TIM OR TIM AND I ?

















I often hear five English grammar mistakes from people who grew up speaking English. It's a difficult language to master. In many rural areas, English grammar becomes relaxed and just plain wrong. How's your grammar? Here are five quick English grammar tips.  Brush up before you go back to school. You might save a little embarrassment.
And while you're at it, pick up a grammar book and listen carefully to the people around you who you know have proper grammar. Listen.
Without using a lot of confusing grammatical language, I'll explain as easily as I can why the following examples are mistakes.

1. Me and Tim, Tim and I

Wrong: Me and Tim are going to a movie tonight.
Right: Tim and I are going to a movie tonight.
Why?
If you take Tim out of the sentence, "you" are the subject. You are going to a movie. When you're going to a movie, what do you say?
"I am going to a movie."
You wouldn't say, "Me am going to a movie."
When you add Tim, the sentence construction remains the same. You're simply adding Tim, and it's correct to say the other person's name first.
"Tim and I are going to a movie."

Your test is always to take the other person out of the sentence, decide on "I" or "me," and then put the other person back in.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...